Friday, July 27, 2007

Friendship Day: Another Argentinean Invention; A Perfect Excuse to Celebrate Friendship

The Argentinean dentist, musician, psychology and philosophy professor, and twice candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize Enrique Ernesto Febbraro, tried to unite the world one letter at a time; after viewing the arrival of the man to the moon July 20, 1969, he wrote more than 1,000 letters to addresses in more than 100 countries to promote the idea of celebrating friendship on this date.

Febbraro, from San Cristobal neighborhood, Argentina, received more than 700 replies to his letters. In 1972, he acquired the patent for the invention of this celebration, and with time people began to celebrate “Friendship Day.”


In Argentina, Friendship Day even has an official date after the Government of Buenos Aires approved an order in council Nº 235/79 that authorizes the celebration of this date giving it legal status.

Even though I might be hard to believe, Febbraro stated to La Voz del Interior that “I spent a lot, a lot of money to establish Friendship Day. The cost was tremendous. I have to deprive myself of various vacations, a car, and many other things, although I never lost any retribution for what I did.

Sometimes, we also sacrifice some things for our friends, but most of the time we gain more than what we loose with such deprivations.

For that reason I want to thank my friends for always being there for me, for celebrating my jokes (even when they are bad), for tolerating my craziness and mood swings, for accepting my unexpected hugs and sudden energy rushes, for having their doors open every time I decide to show up in their little corner of the world, for thinking about me and for showing so much love even though we spend more time away from each other than together.

Los quiero muchísimo and I wish you all the best. ¡Feliz Día del Amigo!

How did y’all celebrate this date?

No comments: