Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Imagine Buenos Aires Without Buses




Picture by Carlos Rodríguez: Colectivo en el estado Guarico, Venezuela, Hacienda de las Maravillas



Since I moved to Buenos Aires about nine months ago, I feel that my life takes place on a bus. I spend close to three hours of my daily life on abus going to and coming from work, traveling to visit my friends, go out todinner, go to my tango lessons, etc.


As it is common when you spend tooooooo much time with something, I have developed a love-hate relationship with box on wheels.


On one side it is convenient, I can take it anytime and anywhere to gowhenever I want, and I do not get stressed driving around Buenos Aires crowded streets. Yet, on the other side, I have to condense myself next to hundreds of passengers during rush hour, I have to go around asking for coins to be able to travel, and during winter, my hands freeze as I wait for the bus.


However, I cannot imagine living in Buenos Aires without buses. For that reason I have attached this picture that Carlos Rodriguez sent to me of an abandoned bus in Venezuela. When I first looked at it I felt sad.


How would my life be in this city if it ceases to take place on a bus?

2 comments:

Eva said...

The Bus you had attached isn't abandoned. Is for tours in the Hacienda. They take you to visit and see the caimans on the lakes. I know because I had live there many years ago. I love it!

Eva said...

The bus that you attached isn;t abandoned. Is for tours inside the Hacienda. Is a beautiful place, very dry and hot, with a beautiful colors, wild animals, delicious food like the cachapa, and the music and the instruments. Very special place to visit and desconnect!!!