I was excited about the opportunity of visiting my relative's land for the first time, about having the opportunity to come in direct contact with this distant culture that was also my culture, about meeting my far relatives, about traveling, about growing, about everything...
At the same time, I new that since I was only going to be in Rome for a semester, I wanted to internalize and absorb everything as fast as I could: I wanted to learn about the culture, compare “Italian” food in Italy with the one I eat in the new continent, see how Italians lived, how they studied, what it was like to work in Rome…
For that reason, I was eager to find a job in Rome through the Internet. After sending many e-mails, CVs and applications, I got an e-mail from a History Museum that was looking for a communications intern in Rome. It seemed like the perfect opportunity: I was going to be able to practice Italian (very basic at that time), I was going to learn a lot of history about the country, and I was going to gain experience in my field.
A month before flying to Rome, I wrote to the Museum’s managers asking them if they could help me find accommodations in Italy. They cordially responded something like: Unfortunately, we cannot help you find a place in Italy because we are located in Rome, Georgia, United States.
Those few words were enough to kill my perfect plan of having a full immersion into Italian culture. However, they were not enough to attenuate my excitement f traveling to the old continent.
From now on, whenever you are searching for a city in Internet, you should double check to make sure it concerns the desire city, otherwise you might be looking at the unreal reflection of a name that counts twice.
Places on a Mirror (includes cities and states):
- Ennis, Irelanda vs. Ennis, Texas, USA
- San Francisco, California, USA vs. San Francisco, Cordoba, Argentina
- Valparaiso, Zacatecas, Mexico vs. Valparaiso, Chile
- Oran, Salta, Argentina vs. Oran, Algeria
- Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico vs. Guadalajara, Castilla - La Macha, Spain
- Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia vs. Medellin, Veracruz, Mexico
- Valencia, Spain vs. Valencia, Venezuela
- Bolívar, Venezuela vs. Bolívar, Colombia
- Ayacucho, Perú vs. Ayacucho, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Armenia, Quindio, Colombia vs. Armenia (country)
- Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico vs. Monterrey, California, USA
- San Rafael, Mendoza, Argentina vs. San Rafael, California, USA
- Aguas Calientes, Mexico vs. Aguas Calientes, Peru
- Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina vs. Santa Rosa, California, USA
- San Jose, Costa Rica vs. San Jose, California, USA
- Santa Barbara, California, EEUU vs. Santa Barbara, Antioquia, Colombia
- Krakow, Poland vs. Krakow, Wisconsin, USA
- Cordoba, Spain vs. Cordoba, Argentina vs. Cordoba, Mexico
- Merida, Spain vs. Merida, Venezuela vs. Merida, Mexico
- Paris, France vs. Paris, Texas, USA vs. Paris, Tennessee
- Trujillo, Venezuela vs. Trujillo, Spain vs. Trujillo, Peru
- Sucre, Perú vs. Sucre, Venezuela vs. Sucre, Bolivia
- Athens, Greece vs. Athens, Ohio, EEUU vs. Athens, Texas, USA
- Humboldt, Germany vs. Humboldt, Santa Fe, Argentina vs. Humboldt, California, USA vs. Humboldt, Nevada, USA
- Providence, Rhode Island, USA vs. Providence, Colombia vs. Providence, Chile vs. Providence, Santa Fe, Argentina
- Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina vs. Rosario, Sinaloa, México vs. Rosario, Chihuahua, Mexico vs. Rosario, Filipinas vs. Rosario, Uruguay